HR Saddlery was established in 2004 by the proprietor Helen Reader at her family’s smallholding just north of Carmarthen, West Wales.
HR Saddlery specialises in producing top quality made to measure bridlework and is frequently invited to make presentation bridles for national competitions such as Olympia and The Royal Windsor Horse Show. This bespoke service allows customers to purchase a bridle that perfectly fits their horse and is produced in a style of their choice.
HR Saddlery’s bridlework is manufactured at their onsite workshop. It is handstitched for added strength and durability using top quality English leather and fittings. All types of bridle, harness and leather work are under taken and a full repairs service is offered. A Saddle Fitting service is available, which can be at your premises.
Helen is a member of The Society of Master Saddlers, they are “a craft organisation whose aims are to promote and safeguard the training, qualification and standard of work of those trained saddlers who make and repair saddles, bridles, harness and other leatherwork associated with the horse and rider.”
In 2015 Helen was awarded a Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust (QEST) Scholarship to undertake further training in the Manufacturer of Side Saddles. Click here for more information about QEST.
Click here for more information on the Society of Master Saddlers.
- Master Saddler & Harness Maker and a Registered Qualified Saddle Fitter.
- Twenty years experience in the saddlery trade.
- 2016 joined the SMS Executive Committee.
- 2017 appointed a lecturer for the SMS Bridle Fitting Course.
- 2014 appointed an assessor for the SMS Qualified Saddle Fitter Assessment.
- Millennium Apprenticeship, including three years at Pointings Saddlery, Bath and onsite training at The Saddlery Training Centre in Salisbury.
- Awarded the Worshipful Company of Saddlers Bursary during the Millennium Apprenticeship.
- Four years as the saddler in residence at Pointings Saddlery, Bath.
- Higher National Diploma in Saddlery Technology at Cordwainers College, London.
- Awarded the Undergraduate Bursary, Graduate Bursary and Lorinery Bursary at Cordwainers College, London.
Helen became involved in saddlery through her passion for horses, she has owned and ridden horses for over thirty five years. Still actively riding and competing Helen is a member of both Cwmaman and Towy Valley Riding Clubs. Before specialising in saddlery Helen gained a valuable insight into the equine industry and the saddlery requirements of an international competition/training yard by spending two years as a working pupil at Earlsway Farm Dressage Training Centre, Suffolk.
- British Horse Society Assistant Instructor.
- Diploma in Advanced Equestrian & Business Management awarded at Distinction, at Berkshire College of Agriculture, Maidenhead.
- Awarded the College Bursary at Berkshire College of Agriculture, Maidenhead.
- Pony Club A Test.
- British Riding Club National Championships 2015 2nd Place in Combined Training, 2013 1st Place in Novice Dressage and individual placings in Dressage, Show Jumping, Combined Training, XC Challenge and Horse Trails from 1996.
- 4th in British Dressage Petplan Area Festival 2013.
- Two years working pupil at International Dressage yard.
- One season working pupil with International Event rider.
- Team chased for two seasons with ‘Pointing the way’
- Ridden to hounds with Windsor Forest Bloodhounds and Avon Vale.
- 4th in Marriage’s Pony Club Pony of the Year competition at Edenbridge and Oxted Agricultural Show 1994.
- Represented and placed with Wokingham Pony Club at Area level in Prince Philip Cup, Dressage, Show Jumping and Horse Trials.
The Society of Master Saddlers’ National Saddlery Competition is hosted and sponsored by the Worshipful Company of Saddlers. This annual event is open to all society members from apprentices to master saddlers, there are a number of classes covering all aspects of the saddlery trade.
- 2015 1st place in Special Open Class, for a Rolled Dog Collar.
- 2012 1st place in Presidents Choice Open class, for ‘a game or toy made from leather’ with a chess board.
- 2008 1st place in Open Bridlework class with an Endurance Bridle and received the Alf Batchelor Memorial Trophy for the Best Bridlework entry.
- 2005 1st place in Open Bridlework class with a London Tan Polo Bridle.
- Premium Awards for excellence of craftsmanship from 2000 - 2018.
- 1999 Young Craftsman of the Year Competition, winning both the individual category and the overall title.